Saturday, May 9, 2015

Pinky Doodle Poodle interview

Pinky Doodle Poodle: Sweet and Savage Don't let the name PINKY DOODLE POODLE fool you. The Japanese punk rockers will delight and amaze you with their high energy and pounding beats. With YURIA singing and playing bass, and GEORGE on guitar, the rockers sucker you into a false sense of security with a cute name and sweet singer, then kick it into high gear with a blasting blow that will knock your socks off and leave you wanting more.

Author Marisa Williams: What is your hometown, is that where you live now, and if you were a tourist in your hometown, what would be worth seeing?

PDP: We both were born in Osaka and now live in Tokyo. We recommend the Universal Studio in Osaka, an aquarium called “Kaiyuukan” and the Osaka castle.

Marisa: How did you get started in music? Did you come from a musical family? What were your biggest musical influences?

PDP: Yuria: I came from a musical family. My grandfather was an conductor of a big band jazz orchestra. My father was a professional saxophone and clarinet player, and my mother was a singer and has taught piano. So, it was very easy for me to start playing musical instruments. George: When I was a little child, my father used to listen to music, especially the American and European music.I think he influenced the foundation of music career for me.

 Marisa: What instruments do you play, and how old were you when you learned to play them?

PDP: Yuria: I play the piano, guitar and bass. At first, I started playing the piano when I was a little child, and then started playing the guitar during my junior high school years. George: I play the guitar, bass and cajon (percussion). When I was a high school student, I started playing the guitar.

Marisa: What was your first concert that you attended, and how did that compare to the first concert that you played?

PDP: Yuria: It was the concert of my grandfather’s band, and my father was there, too. George: My friend’s concert, it was much better than my first concert.

Marisa: What was the first album you purchased? PDP: Yuria: Sorry… can not remember…maybe someone Japanese artists. George: The Beatles / Abbey Road

Marisa: How do you go about writing music? What comes first for you: drums, guitars, vocals or something else? Has the process of writing changed for you over the years at all?

PDP: George: Always guitar or bass riff with rhythm comes first, sometimes a melody comes on it at the same time. The process of writing music has not changed at all.

Marisa: What is your favorite musical technique?

PDP: Yuria: Singing while playing the bass with smile. George: Jump while playing the guitar.

Marisa: What's the coolest musical technique in your latest project, or what is something people might not expect?

PDP: We can switch positions, between guitar and bass.

Marisa: What is the scariest thing about being on the road?

PDP: No place to wash our clothes.

Marisa: Best or worst tour moment?

PDP: Recently, we went to Myanmar. All the gigs were held outside. It was so hot, but it was soooooo great.This is our best tour moment in this year.

Marisa: What's your favorite way to travel and why?

PDP: We like to ride a bus or a car, because we can enjoy the views from the windows.

Marisa: What's your favorite place to travel to, and is there anywhere you have not been to that you would like to go to?

PDP: Our favorite place is Big Island, Hawaii, and the place we would like to go is New Zealand.

Marisa: What do you think is the biggest difference between playing in Japan versus other places in the world?

PDP: In Japan, every venue, even if so small, has many equipment, lights, amplifiers, and so on. On the other hand, in other places in the world, it would be difficult to do a gig if you don’t have musical equipments or friends who we can borrow from.

Marisa: What's your biggest musical fantasy?

PDP: A world tour to travel by our own airplane.

Marisa: I have three personality questions that I ask everyone. They might sound like hogwash, but I promise, there is a psychological basis to the answers ;-) First, if you were an unicorn, and you could be any color but white, what color would you be and would you have any special powers?

PDP: Yuria: Pink with white mane. I could fly and transform into a human. George: Black. I could run so fast and fly to the universe.

Marisa: If you were yogurt, what flavor would you be (feel free to be creative, as this does not have to be a traditional flavor) and how would you be served?

PDP: Yuria: Natural forest flavor. I would like to be served with some fresh fruits on a coconut plate by the beautiful beach. George: Coffee flavor. I would like to be served in Starbucks.

Marisa: Describe yourself as either a dog, a cat or a cartoon.

PDP: Yuria: The question branches off… “Blythe,” an American doll. I am often told that I look like a Blythe doll. George: A dog. I am often told that I look like a dog, especially a slim muzzle dog; for example, a collie.

Marisa: Do you collect anything?

PDP: Yuria: Pink poodle goods!! George: Fuzz (musical instrument).

Marisa: What's your biggest guilty pleasure?

PDP: Our band name is “PINKY DOODLE POODLE,” but we had a chihuahua as a pet…not poodle.

Marisa: Do you have any hidden talents or special skills?

PDP: Yuria: Energy works. George: I am very soft on dogs.

Marisa: What's the most important thing to remember?

PDP: It would be our lovely pet named “Angel.” She passed away last year. Marisa: What was your most influential moment?

PDP: Yuria: It is my grandfather.I grew up watching what he did. George: My most influential moment is when I saw a Jimi Hendrix video.

Marisa: If you were not doing music, what would you be doing?

PDP: Yuria: Healer. George: Brewery owner.

Marisa: What are three things you must have with you when you are on the road?

PDP: Yuria :Special salt, The tools for cupping therapy, Tuning fork. George: Dry nattou, Charm, Motion sickness drug.

Marisa: Any advice for musicians starting out?

PDP: Our advice is that you should better have a good musical instrument and many opportunities to see live music.

Marisa: Where can people find your music?

PDP: You can find our music and informations on our label “Good Charamel Records” and our own website. http://www.goodcharamel.com/ http://www.pinkydoodlepoodle.com/

Marisa: Closing thoughts and additional comments?

PDP: Some people may have cute images about us, because of our band name and the voice character of Yuria. But we are a high energy rock band. Please come to our concert, you can see what we really are. We are going to U.S., soon. See you there.

For more information on PINKY DOODLE POODLE - PDP - info@pinkydoodlepoodle.com http://www.pinkydoodlepoodle.com/ http://www.facebook.com/pinkydoodlepoodle http://www.ustream.tv/user/PINKY_DOODLE_POODLE http://twitter.com/pdp_jp For more on Marisa: www.lulu.com/spotlight/thorisaz and www.twitter.com/booksnbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment